As of 2022, our community of 65 homes has been in existence for about 23 years. Past all-volunteer boards have done well in maintaining the community and keeping the HOA dues at a reasonable rate, but at the 20-year mark, irrigation, lighting, and landscaping need updating.
After carefully considering current, ongoing, and future community needs, the board has decided to increase HOA dues to $765.00 per year for 2023. If you choose to pay by credit card there is an additional merchants services charge of $26 for a total of $791 due on or before January 31st.
- Wall Maintenance – recurring expense. This item is budgeted on a 5-year cycle and is fully funded. The wall is to be repaired and painted in 2023.
- Well pump for the irrigation system – recurring expense. This item is budgeted on a 5-year cycle and is fully funded.
- Rewriting HOA documents (Marketable Record Title Act) – This legally required rewrite of the HOA documents every 30 years is beginning in 2023 and not fully funded. It is budgeted to be funded to $7K over the next two years. The earlier they are completed, the less legal costs to the HOA.
- Entry lighting upgrade – one-time expense. This project is currently unfunded.
- Completion of the exit side irrigation system move to the curbing – one-time expense. This project is currently unfunded.
- Replanting the hedge along the community exit – one-time expense. This project is currently unfunded.
- Replanting the center island at the entry – one-time expense. This project is currently unfunded.
- Landscape maintenance – recurring expense. The base cost of this service is estimated to be between $1800 and $2500/month.
- Miscellaneous landscaping work – a one-time expense of up to $6000, is currently unfunded.
The HOA budget is evaluated annually. Should the board discover that dues need to be adjusted upward or downward that decision will be made at the annual budget meeting held every October.
Using a volunteer board to manage our community has allowed the HOA to hold the annual dues to a reasonable amount. Hiring a management company to handle the affairs of the HOA would result in a considerable increase.